Reclaim the Tailgate With an Active, Healthy Party
10.25.2016 • Wellness
Despite the stereotypes, football isn’t as male-dominated as everyone seems to think. Of the 150 million American NFL fans, women make up an estimated 45 percent. Maybe even more impressive? Eight million women in the U.S. and Canada participate in the cutthroat fantasy football world.
Football season naturally ushers in tailgates, but the perfect tailgate doesn’t have to be a boys club. Gather some of your best sports-loving friends for some fun before the next big game!
What to Eat
- Summer Vegetarian Tacos with Avocado Cream: Make your tailgate stand out by replacing a plain, greasy burger with a healthier and more visually appealing option.
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips: No tailgate is complete without chips, but they don’t need to break anyone’s diet. Sweet potato chips will taste great and won’t make you feel overloaded on salty junk food.
- Roasted Tomatillo Pineapple Salsa: Dip those homemade chips, top the veggie tacos, or give your turkey burgers a kick with this simple, fresh salsa that uses up the last of your garden’s stock.
- BBQ Turkey Sliders: These hand-held burgers keep you in all the backyard game action and offer a lighter yet bold-tasting alternative to typically greasy tailgate fare.
- Chocolate Almond Butter Fruit Dip: Quick and healthy, this dessert will take five minutes to make and will leave everyone with enough energy to play some tailgating games.
Be sure to serve some of our favorite cocktails and mocktails, too!
What to Play
- Ladder Golf: Perfect for people of any age at a tailgate, ladder golf won’t make you sweat but it will get you up and active before the game.
- Touch Football: To really get your blood pumping, start up a few rounds of touch football. There’s nothing better to break the ice for new friends and even have some fun between team rivalries.
- Tarp Toss: If you’ve got craftier skills, show them off and cut different sized holes in a tarp, painting different point values by the holes. String up the trap and you’ve got a game for anyone who wants to practice their throw.