We've hit the first days of spring and you've still got your heater running at your house. But everywhere you look, you're challenged to "Get Beach Body Ready!" or to "Get a Bikini Bod Before Summer!" Spring break is approaching, and you're scrambling to find a cover up because you feel like you didn't quite stick to your New Years Resolution as you had hoped.
Well guess what. You’ve already got the bikini body (you do have a body, right?) Coconut milk or not. Resolutions or not. You have a bikini body that’s ready for the beach. Or is it?
Here are a few really important questions to make sure:
- Do you have skin?
- Is your heart beating underneath that skin?
- Do you have a desire to go to the beach?
- Is that desire matched by a desire to not wear street clothes to said beach?
- Do you promise to wear sunblock, even if it’s the low SPF just so you can say you’re wearing sunblock?
- Do you have obnoxiously large, yet fabulous, sunglasses?
- Do you have a floppy hat fit for the Kentucky Derby but makes for great selfies in the sand?
- Did you get a pedicure? Or at least apply a random color layer over the chipped color? (You know we know you’re taking a picture of your toes with the water behind them with a #BestLifeEver hashtag.)
- Is your Spotify playlist current with music you’d only listen to at the beach (because you’re a grown woman after all)?
- Have you packed enough snacks and cocktails and/or mocktails to get you through the afternoon?
Then you, as they say, are BEACH READY!
Every body belongs at the beach. Yes, including yours.
There’s no photoshop at the beach, only real-life bodies. They’ve got big and little boobs, stretchmarks, scars, fat, and bones. They run the color spectrum. They are old and young, wrinkled and supple. They’re hairy; some are waxed clean.
So wear a bikini only if you want to; if you’re comfortable in it. Wear a one piece if you want to; if you’re comfortable in it. Wear a T-shirt and sweat pants if that’s your jam. Don’t wear anything at all -- they make beaches for that, too!
Half the people you’ll see don’t care and the other half are likely as self-conscious as you are. In the end … just do you.
No matter what you decide to wear to the beach, remember that CONFIDENCE IS SEXY so be sure to wear that!